Why degree at Charles University?
Graduates of the IES are internationally competitive given our long-term commitment to excellence:
- Quantitative skills. We build upon 4 Maths, and 3 Statistics + Econometrics courses on the Bachelor level.
- International atmosphere. 85% of Master courses are in English. 600+ international students from 28 countries have studied at the IES in the last 10 years, including Erasmus Mundus students of IMESS with University College London.
- Stay abroad. We offer 40+ Erasmus exchange agreements, plus scholarship opportunities in the US and Australia.
- Family size. 80 Bachelors, 60 Masters, and 5 PhDs graduate annually. Thesis writing is intensive and personal.
- Top lecturers. We combine academics with practitioners, such as Zdenek Tuma (ex-governor of the Czech National Bank), Pavel Mertlik (Chief Economist, Raiffeisen Bank), Vladimir Dlouhy (Goldman Sachs), and many others.
- Talents. We seek for best students to develop their potential. The best students are successful on job market and also receive numerous prizes, such as Olga Radzyner Award, Financial Stability Institute Award, Innovating Minds, Young Economist Prize, Karel Englis Prize, Bolzano Prize, Josef Hlavka Prize, and Josef Vavrousek Prize. Wage premium of our average graduate substantially exceeds the average wage premium of the local competitors.
Degrees for international students
Four distinctly different degrees are offered to prospective students:
Bachelor in Economics and Finance (BEF) is a tuition-based program that offers intensive traininig in mathematics, statistics and econometrics in three years. It covers key fields of Economics and Finance, mostly through courses surveying recent theory and empirics. The degree is a solid and sufficient preparation for top-quality Master programs in the UK, US, and Switzerland.
Master in Economics and Finance (MEF) is a tuition-based program that gives the student a thorough grounding in both theoretical and applied economics and finance. The applicants must have solid background in Mathematics and good command of English. Courses are taught both by IES faculty and external professionals from the central bank, commercial banks and business analysts. Our graduates typically assume challenging positions in banking, consulting, investment funds, and public administration.
International Economic and Political Studies (IEPS) seeks to investigate contemporary political, economic and social issues from a multidisciplinary perspective. It is a Master-level tuition-based program with predominant emphasis on approaches from economics and political science.
PhD in Economics is also available to international students. This degree is designed for students deeply interested in fundamental theoretical and applied research in economics and finance. We offer several scholarships to make this degree attractive to talented students.