The application deadline is February 28. Currently we are accepting applications for admission in September 2013.
IES on-line application will be activated on November 30, 2012.
Eligibility for Study
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, mathematics, financial mathematics, statistics, physics, or related fields obtained by September 2013.
- A strong background in mathematics is necessary for successful completion of the program. For examples of topics in mathematics that applicants should be familiar with, please consult the undergraduate mathematics and statistics courses at IES.
- Previous education in economics is not required but is desirable.
- Sufficient competence in English to complete English-taught courses.
How to Apply
The application deadline is February 28, 2013. By this date, all documents including those sent by post should be received by IES.
IES application fee is 450 CZK.
Students apply to the Master's program in Economic Theory at the Institute of Economic Studies, Faculty of Social Science of Charles University, Prague. The following materials are required for an application to be processed. Please submit all materials in English or accompanied by an official English translation. The materials must be received in hard copy (preferably in a single package) by IES by the application deadline date.
- IES application form. Please fill in and submit the form electronically (Help). Print out the submitted application, sign it, and send by post to IES.
|Faculty:||Faculty of Social Sciences|
|Type and form of study:||full-time Master's (post-Bachelor)|
|Study branch:||E | Ekonomie (N6201) language of instruction: Czech|
IES application form will be activated on November 30, 2012.
The application form mainly asks for your contact information and previous study experience.
- Application supplement indicating that you wish to enroll in the JME program. Please fill in the application supplement, print it out, sign it, and send by post to IES.
- Curriculum vitae.
- Statement of motivation: 1000-2000 word statement in English explaining your academic background, interests and career goals, and how the JME program will help you meet your objectives. Please see the Statement of Motivation Guidelines.
- A notary-verified copy of your Bachelor's degree diploma. If you expect to receive your diploma after the JME application deadline, please submit an official confirmation from your university saying that there are no obstacles to your graduation and that you are expected to graduate, e.g., by the end of June of this year (specifying when the diploma will be issued).
- A notary-verified copy of your Bachelor's degree transcript. If you graduate after the JME application deadline, submit your current academic transcript.
- Two letters of recommendation from persons familiar with our academic background, provided in sealed envelopes with the recommender's signature written across the seal (form available here). If you submitted your recommendation letters as part of the Fellowship Application, you need not to submit them again.
- Other relevant documents that may increase your chances of being admitted to the program (such as additional study records, certificates, etc.).
- You are encouraged to submit a TOEFL score or other certified English language exam score, as well as GRE score or other proficiency test scores.
- Confirmation of application fee payment. The payment should be sent to the Faculty of Social Sciences account with the following details:
|Account name and address: Faculty of Social Sciences, Smetana Embankment 6, Prague 1, Czech Republic|
|Bank name: Komerční banka|
|Account number: 85033011/0100|
|Variable code: 212|
|Constant symbol: 0308|
|For international payments:
SWIFT: KOMBCZPP, IBAN:CZ5801000000000085033011
Please post all the above documents to the following address:
Faculty of Social Sciences
Smetanovo nábřeží 6
110 01 Prague1
Applicants currently studying at IES should proceed to the section "Special Rules for IES Students".
- Students who applied for the JME are invited to sit the entrance exam for the Master’s program in Economics Theory that takes place in June. Visa documents (if required) for coming to the entrance exam are provided by IES.
- Students who successfully pass the entrance exams are admitted to the Master's program in Economic Theory at IES and considered by the CERGE-EI Admissions Committee for the JME program.
- In early July, applicants are notified of their admission or non-admission to the JME program. Applicants may be required to successfully complete the Preparatory Semester before admission.
- Students who are not admitted to the JME program are still admitted to the Master's program in Economic Theory at IES and can pursue the program.
Special Rules for IES Students
The admission procedure is greatly simplified for students obtaining their Bachelor's degree from the IES.
- IES Bachelor’s students follow the IES procedure for transferring from the Bachelor's to the Master's program.
- Students who are admitted to the Master’s program at IES and intend to take the Joint Masters in Economics option should e-mail the Application Supplement and their Bachelor’s degree transcript to the CERGE-EI Student Affairs Office: email@example.com . The deadline is August 20, 2013.
- In early September, applicants are notified of their admission or non-admission to the JME program. In the past, all students successfully completing the Bachelor's degree in Economics at IES were admitted to the JME program.