How Does It Work?
For Czech-speaking Master students (Master program "Ekonomické teorie"), CERGE-EI and IES jointly offer a unique opportunity to study part of the track simultaneously at IES and CERGE-EI via the Visiting Master’s scheme. The contractual cooperation allows you to take the first-year PhD courses at CERGE-EI as equivalents of IES courses. You may earn up to 80 credits (out of 120 in total).
- High-quality and challenging PhD-level Economics courses already on the Master level.
- All courses are taught in English. In addition, the Academic Skills Center at CERGE-EI helps the student develop Economics-specific language and academic skills.
- There is no extra fee.
- Fellowships are available to cover living expenses.
- Upon graduation, the students earn a Master's Degree in Economic Theory ("Ekonomické teorie") at IES and complete the 1st year of the CERGE-EI PhD program.
- The program facilitates a smooth transition to the PhD program at CERGE-EI.
- Option to revert to the standard courses at Master's program at IES at no cost, in case of not passing either the PhD-level courses or the General exams at CERGE-EI.
- Simplified admission procedure for Bachelor's degree holders from IES.
- The application deadline for the Visiting Master’s scheme is August 20. Currently we are accepting applications for admission in September 2015.
Below is an outline of the program that most students follow, particularly those who intend to continue with the PhD program at CERGE-EI. However, individual study plans are also possible.
- 1st year: Take the CERGE-EI core sequence (3 semesters from early September to mid June).
- End of 1st year: Pass CERGE-EI Core General exams.
- 2nd year: Take the remaining IES courses, spend one semester at an Erasmus exchange abroad (optional), write the Master’s thesis. The thesis is supervised either by a CERGE-EI or IES faculty member, or can be written under joint supervision.
- End of 2nd year: Pass IES State exams, defend the Master’s thesis. Transfer to the PhD program at CERGE-EI.
Eligibility for Study
The main condition is to become a Master student of the Czech-speaking Master program "Ekonomické teorie" at IES.
- To enter the program, an applicant must have obtained Bachelor’s degree in economics, mathematics, financial mathematics, statistics, physics, or related fields by September of the year of entry.
- A strong background in mathematics is necessary for successful completion of the program. For examples of topics in mathematics that applicants should be familiar with, please consult the undergraduate mathematics and statistics courses at IES.
- Previous education in economics is not required but is desirable.
- Sufficient competence in English is necessary to complete English-taught courses.