Position: Associate Professor
Field of interest: International trade, Macroeconomics, Monetary policy, Energy economics, Meta-analysis
Membership: Internal, Macroeconomics and Econometrics
Office: 5P118 (CNB)
Email: tomas [DOT] havranek [AT] ies-prague [DOT] org
Phone: 2.2441 2671
Personal web pages: http://tomashavranek.cz
Available: Tuesday, 4.30pm, room 314. Please always contact me in advance.
European Economic Association, Meta-Analysis of Economics Research Network, Czech Economic Society
2009-2013 Ph.D. (economics), Charles University
2008 University of Helsinki and Helsinki School of Economics (Erasmus)
2007-2009 M.A. (financial markets and banking), Charles University
2004-2007 B.A. (economics), Charles University
2016+ Associate Professor, Charles University, Prague
2016+ Advisor to the Board, Czech National Bank
2014 Visiting Scholar, University of California, Berkeley
2013-2015 Assistant Professor, Charles University, Prague
2011-2015 Senior Economist, Research Department, Czech National Bank
2009-2010 Junior Economist, Economic Research and Financial Stability Department, CNB
I have reviewed more than 75 manuscripts for journals including the Journal of International Economics, Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, and International Journal of Forecasting (my reviewer profile). I also regularly review working papers, dissertations, and grant applications for various institutions including the ECB.
Awards and prizes
- Best PhD Thesis Award 2014 by the UniCredit & Universities Foundation (best dissertation in economics and finance in the 17 countries where UniCredit operates)
- Economic Research Award (2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, and 2012) by the Czech National Bank
- Young Economist Award, first prize (2012), third prize (2011 and 2010) by the Czech Economic Society
- Medal on Research and Development, first prize (2010) by the Global Development Network, World Bank
- Olga Radzyner Award (2009) by the Austrian National Bank (best scientific work on European integration)
- Karel Englis Prize (2009) by Charles University (best alumnus in social sciences)
- Karel Englis Prize (2009) by the Czech Economic Society (best economic policy paper)
- Bolzano Prize (2007) by Charles University (best student work in economics)
Topics for supervision
Please write your thesis in English and use LaTeX. For current topics see the Student Information System, but I also welcome your own topics in meta-analysis (especially publication bias), international economics (trade and FDI), monetary economics (transmission of monetary policy shocks), and energy economics (demand for energy and issues related to social cost of carbon). Send me your grade point average from bachelor studies.
Please write your thesis in English and use LaTeX. For current topics see the Student Information System, but I also welcome your own topics in meta-analysis (especially publication bias), international economics (trade and FDI), monetary economics (transmission of monetary policy shocks), and energy economics (demand for energy and issues related to social cost of carbon). Send me your grade point average from bachelor and master studies.
If you are interested in meta-analysis, please first look at my papers on the topic:
- Havranek Tomas & Zuzana Irsova (2016), "Do Borders Really Slash Trade? A Meta-Analysis." IMF Economic Review, forthcoming.
- Havranek Tomas (2015), "Measuring Intertemporal Substitution: The Importance of Method Choices and Selective Reporting." Journal of the European Economic Association 13(6), 1180-1204.
- Havranek Tomas, Horvath Roman, Irsova Zuzana & Marek Rusnak (2015), "Cross-Country Heterogeneity in Intertemporal Substitution." Journal of International Economics 96(1), 100-118.
Supervised Bachelor theses
Supervised Master Theses