Master in Economics and Finance (MEF):
- a two-year program taught fully in English
- offered for students with a completed Bachelor's degree
- aims to give students a thorough grounding in both theoretical and applied economics
- puts an emphasis on developing abstract analytical reasoning, which allows our graduates to solve complex economic problems in various settings
- courses are taught both by core faculty and professionals from the central bank, commercial banks, and business analysts
- tuition based program, students can apply for tuition fee discounts and for external scholarships
- applicants must have a solid background in mathematics and good command of English
- we particularly welcome applicants with undergraduate degrees in business studies, finance, economics, statistics, mathematics, physics, engineering or similar fields
- we offer intermediate courses in economics and finance to facilitate the transition for students with undergraduate training in other fields
- applicants can study selected courses before they start the program and have the credits acknowledged once they start the program
Examples of MEF alumni
Sidita Reshketa (alumna 2018), Assistant Lecturer at Epoka University, Albania
"My study at the Institute of Economic Studies has been academically stimulating, enlightening, and challenging. The insights and expertise from the faculty have been invaluable, and I have been honored to attend lectures and seminars by preeminent economists. Currently, I am completing my PhD dissertation at CERGE-EI and teaching Macroeconomics I and Topics in Macroeconomics at IES. I am very grateful for the opportunity to come back to IES as an instructor and to teach students at undergraduate and graduate levels."
Nikoloz Kudashvilli (alumnus 2013), Ph.D. Candidate CERGE-EI, 2nd place, Young Economist of the Year 2017
"Time spent at IES proved as invaluable asset and experience for my further career development. Besides sophisticated curriculum and excellent teaching stuff, at IES I managed to see and accept principles for analyzing and solving challenges regardless of type, domain, industry or complexity."
Aleksa Radosavčević (alumnus 2017), Quantitative Researcher at CausaLens, London
"One of the highlights of my time at IES was my advisor, Milan Ščasný. As a supervisor for my Master's thesis , he took the time to help me and really pass on his practical and theoretical knowledge of environmental economics, in the context of the question that motivated my research. This mentoring was what best prepared me for my current Ph.D. studies. In addition to the Master's coursework at IES that provides a solid grounding in economics, I would also recommend IES to anyone interested in environmental or health economics issues."
Nicolas Tyack (alumnus 2016), Ph.D. Candidate Graduate Institute in Geneva
„My 2 years at IES were so enriching and rewarding. The programme is very interesting, challenging and offers to student plenty of subjects to choose from. I could focus only on the areas I liked more, such as banking, corporate finance, financial instruments etc. I learned so much at IES, that I think I could work in any field of economics and definitely the analytical skills and knowledge that I got help me a lot in my current job."
Mariana Celac (alumna 2014), Associate Analyst at MasterCard, Belgium
“I consider my studies at IES to have been enhancing and enriching for me. They gave me the possibility to deepen my knowledge in the subjects of my interest providing me with a solid educational background which created opportunities for a successful professional career.”
Victoria Donu (alumna 2012), Analyst at Moody’s Analytics, Czech Republic
"Two years at IES did not only take me to the next academic level but also provided an unmatchable social experience. To be able to live in the most beautiful city in the world, to study with brilliant students with diverse cultural backgrounds, to get a top-notch education, and that too on a generous government scholarship was a dream come true for me. I am about to complete my PhD from Germany, which wouldn’t have been possible without the education and training I received at IES."
Muhammad Ali (alumnus 2012), Consultant (Economist) at The World Bank, Pakistan
“You have the opportunity to study with some of the most weathered and highly talented economists and all this in one of the most vibrant and thriving capitals of Europe.”
Adrian Babin (alumnus 2011), Economist, Single Supervisory Mechanism at the European Central Bank, Germany
“The IES experience prepared me for graduate school in the United States by helping me develop the necessary critical thinking skills and offering me the chance to acquire both quantitative and qualitative analytic aptitudes.“
Ecaterina Locoman (alumna 2011), PhD Candidate in Political Science, Rutgers Schools of Arts and Sciences, USA
“My decision to study in Prague and, specifically, at Charles University, was based on prior analyses and discussions with students who were studying there. Hence, I knew what to expect: professional teachers, very strong and research oriented study program, international environment, and all this in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. My expectations were fully met, except for one thing: it was even better.”
Adrian Lupusor (alumnus 2012), Executive Director of the economic think-tank Expert-Grup, Moldova
Academia and research
- Sidita Reshketa (alumna 2018), Assistant Lecturer at Epoka University, Albania
- Nicolas Tyack (alumnus 2016), Ph.D. Candidate Graduate Institute in Geneva
- Nikoloz Kudashvilli (alumnus 2013), Ph.D. Candidate CERGE-EI, 2nd place, Young Economist of the Year 2017
- Nadzeya Laurentsyeva (alumna 2013), PhD Candidate at Ludwig-Maximilians University Munich, Germany
- Adrian Lupusor (alumnus 2012), Executive Director of Expert-Grup, Moldova
- Amela Saric (alumna 2012), PhD Candidate at Heinrich Heine University, Germany
- Corina Besliu (alumna 2011), PhD Candidate at University of Utah, USA
- Ecaterina Locoman (alumna 2011), PhD Candidate in Political Science, Rutgers Schools of Arts and Sciences, USA
- Arun Derunduli (alumnus 2017), Associate Economist, Moody’s, Czech Republic
- Valeri Covalenco (alumnus 2017) Finance Business Partner, DXC Technology, Czech Republic
- Waheed Brown (alumnus 2013), Software Engineer at Akamai Technologies, Silicon Valley, USA
- Alina Cazachevici (alumna 2013), Business Analyst for Western Europe at Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Czech Republic
- Irina Talasimova (alumna 2013), Credit Risk Analyst at Emerson Process Management, Czech Republic
- Natalia Lupusor Bejan (alumna 2012), Senior Consultant at Adastra Business Consulting, Czech Republic
- Mimi Hoxha (alumna 2016), Accountant at Avant Communications, Chicago, USA
- Anton Asthakov (alumnus 2015), Associate in Valuation and Financial Modelling team at Deloitte Central Europe, Prague
- Marina Gorobetchi (alumna 2015), Research Analyst in Euromonitor International, Lithuania
- Mariana Celac (alumna 2014), Associate Analyst at MasterCard, Belgium
- Dritan Gjika (alumnus 2013), Economist at Moody´s Analytics, Czech Republic
- Victoria Donu (alumna 2012), Analyst at Moody’s Analytics, Czech Republic
- Tihana Ibrahimpasic (alumna 2012), Investment Manager at Astra Financial Services, Czech Republic
- Persida Spirollari (alumna 2011), Head of Cards and ATMs at Emporiki Bank, Albania
- Ludmila Pascanean (alumna 2015), Country Project Manager at International Centre for Migration Policy Development (ICMPD), Moldova
- Muhammad Ali (alumnus 2012), Consultant (Economist) at The World Bank, Pakistan
- Adrian Babin (alumnus 2011), Economist, Single Supervisory Mechanism at the European Central Bank, Germany
You may also watch a video with MEF alumni.
For more information about the program, please follow this link.
More information about admission is available here.