Matěj Bajgar, D.Phil.
Matěj Bajgar, D.Phil.
2011-2016 DPhil in Economics, University of Oxford
2009-2010 MSc in Economics for Development, University of Oxford
2006-2009 Bc in Economics, IES FSV UK, Charles University
2023+ Assistant Professor, Charles University, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies
2021+ Researcher, Economics Institute of the Czech Academy of Sciences
2021-2022 Postdoctoral Researcher, Charles University, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies
2015-2020 Economist, Directorate for Science, Technology and Innovation, OECD, Paris
Feb-Apr 2015 Stanford University, Department of Economics
2009-10, 2011-14 Weidenfeld Scholarship and Leadership Award (University of Oxford)
2011 Renomia Award in Development Economics (1st prize)
2009 Josef Vavrousek Award (1st prize)
2009 SAS Institute Prize (2nd prize)
2008 Generali Top Talent (1st prize)
JEB001/JEB154 - Bachelor's Thesis Seminar I
JEB002/JEB155 - Bachelor's Thesis Seminar II
JEB108 - Microeconomics II
JED109 - Institutional Economics and Economic Policy I
JED110 - Institutional Economics and Economic Policy II
JEB156 - Industrial Organizatio
I am happy to supervise empirical theses in the fields of industrial organisation, innovation economics and international trade. Below I put some suggestions for inspiration but do not hesitate to get in touch if you have an idea for a topic that falls within these fields.
Some general themes
- Heros and zombies: who receives R&D grants?
- Impact of technology on firms and the economy
- Start-up creation and growth
- R&D, innovation, patenting
- International trade, productivity, product quality
- Competition, mark-ups, profitability, industry concentration
- Monopsony, labour market concentration, buyer concentration
Some more specific topics
- Do R&D grants boost firm innovation?
- Scientific grants and researchers' careers
- Impacts of within-route railway competition: Case of the Czech Republic
- Do movie subsidies lead to better movies?
- Covid, firm exit and firm entry
- Competition in the food chain: Are groceries too expensive in Czechia?
- How competitive is Czech telecom market?
- Do employers in concentrated local labour markets pay lower wages?
- Foreign direct investment and wages of researchers in local firms
- Technology diffusion and local labour markets
- Impact of EU structural funds on regional economic performance
- R&D tax incentives and the quality of exports
I am happy to supervise empirical theses in the fields of industrial organisation, innovation economics and international trade. For potential topics, see the section about bachelor's theses above.
International Economics, Industrial Organization, Innovation Economics